Lit from Within: Melt My Makeup! Battle of the Balms
-->

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Melt My Makeup! Battle of the Balms


Hello, Fireflies!

Taking off makeup is the worst part about wearing makeup, isn't it? I've used wipes, water-only eraser towels, cleansing oils, micellar water, oily removers... you name it.  So, when these new melting balms came on the market, I picked up the ELF one, and then picked up the IT Cosmetics one, so I decided to do a side-by-side removal to see which worked better for me!

ELF is one of my favorite brands for creating low-cost alternatives to prestige brand products.  They know how to make some good stuff, cheaply! This Hydrating Gel Melt Cleanser was the first thing I'd tried from their new skincare line. 

I love the blue frosted packaging, and the jar has a nice, sturdy feel to it.  The gel is clear and thick. It's made with both water and oils like Argan and Rose seed, and has antioxidants like Vitamin C, for some skincare benefits.
I also love It Cosmetics, and couldn't resist their latest QVC offering, which included their new Bye Bye Makeup Melting Cleansing Balm.  Also in a jar, this starts off with a much firmer consistency, and a milky color.  In addition to cleansing and removing makeup, it also incorporates an anti-aging serum for softer, smoother skin.
 I started with a full face of makeup.  Nothing waterproof. 


I applied the ELF gel on one side, and the IT balm on the other.  They both feel thick, and I have to work them both into the skin and especially around my eyes.  It feels weird rubbing this stuff around my eyelashes.  I took these pictures after applying the balms, but before I did any rubbing or removing.  It was hard to keep my eyes open with this goop on them! Jibblies.
I rubbed both balms in, scrubbing my eyelids carefully, but trying to get the makeup off.  The ELF gel got into my eyes and was hard to rinse out.  It didn't hurt, but it made my vision blurry, which I didn't like.  I definitely needed a washcloth to remove these balms.  They are not rinse-off formulas.  


Neither one of them got my eyes completely clean on the first pass, but with the washcloth, I was eventually able to get both eyes free of makeup, though the ELF balm took more time and effort to remove the mascara.  The It Cosmetics balm did a better job overall, and it felt nicer on the skin, and smelled nice, too.  The deal-breaker for me was the goopy eyes from the ELF, though.  I had a really difficult time getting the residue out of my eyes, and pretty much just had to let my eyes clean themselves out.

There is a pretty big price-differential, though, to consider.  The ELF Hydrating Gel Cleanser retails for $10, and the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Makeup 3-1 Makeup Melting Balm is $38.

Between the two, I much preferred the IT Cosmetics balm, but I'm not sure I would repurchase either at full price.  I can usually get my makeup off with a wipe or the water-only eraser-towels, but I did like the convenience of not having to double-cleanse with these balms.  They both remove makeup and cleanse the skin - and also have some skin conditioning benefits.

Have you tried a cleansing balm? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...