Lit from Within: Getting ready for Easter, and Spring - Butter Pastels
-->

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Getting ready for Easter, and Spring - Butter Pastels

I am reminded of a scene in 'The Devil Wears Prada' where the fashion editor is sarcastically saying how flowers and pastels for Spring are so new.  They aren't new, but they are pervasive!  And, if something says Spring, it's the new collex from Butter London.

I found all of the colors in this collection to lack the signature creamy-ease-of-application most Butter Londons have.  Pastels are notoriously tricky to apply, and these were no exception.  You'll notice in many of my swatches that I had trouble with patchiness and leveling. 

Molly-Coddled.  Red-toned lilac creme.  Probably the easiest to apply, but needed 3 thin coats for opacity.


Kerfuffle.  Beautiful color, horrible clumpy mess.


Fiver.  Palest mint-green.  Mint greens are huge this year, and this one is the lightest I've seen.  A little troublesome, maybe, but I think it was worth the effort.


Cuppa.  A nude creme that oddly seems to fit with the pastels.  A great nude for my very light, still-winterized skin.  I used it as the base color for my Easter-ish nail art.


I took a makeup sponge and dabbed all of the other colors in different places all over Cuppa.  Topcoat is a necessity to make this kind of nail art look sufficiently blurred together.  I almost stopped here, but I ultimately couldn't resist adding a little more.


With a dotting tool, I made large dots in all the different colors all over the nail.  To get the depth and layering of colors, I went back over each nail at least twice with each color.


Pastel jumble!


Bottle shots.  I'm missing Jasper, the yellow, and Fruit Machine, the pink from this collection, if you're wondering if there's more to it.


Which do you like better - the watercolor look, or with the dots added?  Would you rather have dots on a skittles mani?  What are you doing for your Easter/Oestra/Spring Fling Thing mani?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Ready to add these pastels to your stash of Butter Londons? :)

      Delete
  2. I think the dots really made this mani! I wore Kerfuffle at our meetup and I had a hell of a time applying it! It chipped on the first day. I was not impressed. but the colors are so beautiful! -__-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed seeing that on you! :( I love the color of Kerfuffle, but what a streaky globby mess. I'll probably try it again, though, see if I can't make it work. I'm a sucker for a peachy pink. Everything chips on me so fast, I don't even write about it longevity. Most of my nail art I only keep on for a little while anyway.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They mean so much to me, and I read all of them, even if I don't always have a chance to respond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...